Super absorbent polymer (SAP)
What is super absorbent polymer indeed?
In agriculture, super absorbent polymer is also called water retaining polymer or soil condition agent.
It is a powerful water absorbent material. The water absorption is hundreds times of it weight.
Before absorbing: White (or brownness) powder / granule.
After absorbing: Transparent gel.
The mainly chemical component of SAP is sodium polyacrylate or potassium polyacrylate.
- Sodium polyacrylate is produced by sodium hydroxide and acrylic acid;
- Potassium polyacrylate is produced by potassium hydroxide and acrylic acid.
SAP can increase the water holding capacity of soil which is meaning:
- The yield of crops / fruit trees will be increased;
- The water cost will be reduced;
- The fertilizer efficiency will be increased by reducing lost to underground.
>> Water Holding Capacity Test
Is super absorbent polymer good for soil?
1.Potassium polyacrylate SAP
Potassium polyacrylate is totally good for soil:
- Before decomposed in soil, it can keep increasing water holding capacity of soil;
- After decomposed in soil, potassium polyacrylate would break into potassium, water, carbon dioxide, etc.
2.Sodium polyacrylate SAP
In agriculture, sodium polyacrylate obviously is a bad choose.
After decomposed in soil, sodium polyacrylate would be break into water, carbon dioxide and sodium which would cause soil alkalization.
Tips: As sodium polyacrylate is much cheap than potassium polyacrylate, profiteers would sell sodium polyacrylate instead of potassium polyacrylate.